Friday, April 12, 2019

27A - Reading Reflection

I read about the biography on Carnegie.

1)

  • What surprised  me most was the level of hands of he was on the business while he relaxed or went on vacation.
  • I most admired his philanthropy as in his later years he was dedicated to giving away all the money he made over the years.
  • I least admired his ability when he criticized his partner Frick by saying he was unstable to everyone else when Frick was rightfully pissed at Carnegie and Carnegie wouldn't apologize when Frick found out and called him out. Carnegie encountered a lot of adversity and they were prepared for it and when it needed Carnegie's attention he allowed his employees to handle it while he gave advice from other places.
2) The entrepreneur exhibited many competencies and was able to learn things quickly and be able to do it more efficiently than anyone else. He know how to cut costs and how to make the business more profitable.

3) One  part that was confusing was how he was able to still live luxuriously and still be able to give away so much of his money.

4) One question I would ask is how he was able to retain still be a majority shareholder and be able to stay out of the day to day events of the business and be able to live his life since I think that's the goal for me to be like that if I owned a business or more than one. Another question would be how he was able to discern which places he would give grants to during his later years when he was all about philanthropy since I would like to do charity as well but I rather do it on my own instead of charities since I would know where it's going and how it's being used.

5) I think the entrepreneur's opinion of hard work is if you were able to get the work efficiently done as he valued labor workers as he was one of them and also since he had short work days but got more done in the few hours than most people in a day. I agree with the second part because if you can do the same amount of work in a few hours than a day I think it would be beneficial than doing a long work day.

1 comment:

  1. This seems like it was a super interesting book to read! I really admire how in his later years, he dedicated his life to giving back the money that he earned. I also agree with his definition of hard work. I am a firm believer that those who are able to get the most amount of quality work done in the shortest time possible are most likely to succeed! Great post!

    ReplyDelete