Thursday, March 21, 2019

20 A - Growing Your Social Capital

Domain Expert:

  • Background: Janet Florence, works for Tesla.
  • How they fit the slot: Knows how the car works especially with their autopilot feature.
  • How you found the person: I went on Linkedin and found her on there and contacted her through that.
  • Nature of Exchange: I told her about my idea and she thought it was good and told me what she could about how Tesla's autopilot works with the sensors.
  • How will including this person enhance your ability to exploit an opportunity: Having someone familiar with around the same technology would help me when i try to figure it out making it so it could work with any car.

Market Expert:

  • Background: Chris Shaw, blogger.
  • How they fit the slot: He has written a lot on Tesla and how their car is innovate and how it works.
  • How you found the person: I found him on a random blog on google who talks about innovative technology and i contacted him by emailing him..
  • Nature of Exchange:  We talked about my idea and how we both thought it could work both technically and business wise how to market it.
  • How will including this person enhance your ability to exploit an opportunity: As an expert on new innovate technology, he would be helpful of thinking of ways to implement the technology and ways to make it work or to improve it even more.
Industry Supplier:

  • Background: David M., Car technician.
  • How they fit the slot: As he works at a mechanic shop they often have to order parts for the cars and work with them and know the insides and outs of them.
  • Description: Found him on Linkedin and contacted him through there.
  • Nature of Exchange: I was talking to him about my idea and was talking to him about how we would be able to set up the sensors and the software in new cars and how it could work technically with the car.
  • How will including this person enhance your ability to exploit an opportunity: He would be helpful as he knows the insides and outsides of a car he would be useful in helping us know figure out how to integrate the sensors and everything into the car since he knows the anatomy and how a car works.
Reflection: This experience will shape how I participate in any future networking events because I now realize it's more helpful to have experts who already know the industry then having to learn everything on your own since they would know more than the average person. It differs from my past since I haven't done networking at all so it shows me how to do it . 

3 comments:

  1. I completely agree with your reflections. I think it is important to find people who are either working in the same position you're interested in or the same field to truly understand it and what it entails. Learning things on your own can be overwhelming, hearing it from someone make ease an worries or questions you have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that it's really good for you and your product to find people that are already pretty much experts in your field and adding them to your network with targeted networking. I also think it's cool how you found all three of these people online, 2 on LinkedIn, and contacted them through there. I think it shows how useful the internet can be in networking as they don't even have to be in the same place as you to meet them. I will also be using the internet (mainly LinkedIn) to keep expanding my network in the future and come upon more and more opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed that each of your three experts had direct experience with your market and were not simply advise givers. Your domain expert clearly is knowledgable as Tesla has massive amounts of equity originating from your market, which shows me just how far you went to make sure you accumulated a knowledge base worthy of being called a social network, and to add to that I am thoroughly impressed with the effort of those exchanges.

    ReplyDelete